Crafters DS

Show us what you're making.

Crafters DS

Postby Nobody » August 13th, 2012, 12:48 am

Crafters DS is my second attempt to make a 2D minecraft type of game. If you liked my Mario Craft game then this one should be tons more fun in it's future releases! Plans for crafting, animals/mobs, chest, and very basic terrain generation code have been theorized into code already (but if i have as much success as I'm having now then it will probably take a long time to get these elements going). I can almost guarantee that this project won't get too big or even halfway complete of what little I want to make it, so sorry if this bums anyone because this is just a side project. I hope to get it as far as possible though. If i do get to a decent enough state, then i'll consider maybe adding saving ;)

I'm at a point where serious problems are going to seriously start to kick, because of this I'm releasing an alpha version of the game that will pretty much be the half release of the first version.

Controls: The game includes both right-handed and left-handed controls. Hold left and right to move (Y and A buttons for lefty). Press/Hold up to jump (X button for lefty). Tap a block to destroy it. When the blocks are destroyed, the dirt blocks turn into a pile of dirt. Run into it to pick it up and gain the resource. On the top screen you can see a dirt block and the number on top of it is your number of resources of that material. If you have the reserves, tap the screen to place a block (if a block is not already there). Tap your legs to automatically put a block underneath you and raise up (i thought this was a very helpful feature). To change block types, press L or R to switch screens. Tap a material to select it. The game only allows you to render up to 112 blocks per load onto the screen (if the limit is reached and there are still more blocks to load, they will be loaded at a later render when room is available). To toggle between free build mode (mine craft creative) and gather (minecraft survival mode), press SELECT. In free build mode, hold a block to delete blocks almost instantaneously and tap to create blocks without depleting your reserves. To render the blocks manually, hit the down (B for lefty) button (blocks are rendered automatically based on movement). The number on the bottom screen in the top left corner shows you how many blocks are rendered. When this limit is reached you can no longer place anymore blocks. On the top screen, the top right hand corner is your position and in the bottom right is the camera position. To suspend your game at any time, close the lid. The rest is however you play! Mine, place, create! I do plan on adding more blocks that you can actually mine but i didn't see a reason to add a bunch as of now (expanding the room size is easy, i just have to make the array to any size i want) when there wasn't much to do and without some kind of terrain generation there would just be huge clumps of dirt blocks everywhere using up most of the block count instances, so maybe later.

NOTES: The bottom of the room is an invisible floor that you can't fall through. You spawn in the world in creative by default. To get a pretty generated world (with correct tree placement), either reload the cartridge or hit START to reset the room.

Update:
Fixed some other minor bugs, added stone, added user inferface, added random terrain generation, and added free build and gather mode.

Features:
Game suspension, auto rendering, manual rendering, block placing, block destroying, jumping, falling/collectable materials, placing block under player, homemade graphics, animations for actions, auto grass rendering, tree generation, random terrain generation, free build mode, gather mode, Blocks: dirt, grass, leaves, bark, and stone

Bugs/Glitches/Warnings: Trees may generate randomly floating.

Last of all let me know about what you think and what you would like to see! Also, alert me of any other bugs you find or if there could be small things that i could add to make it flow better or more minecraft like. Third note, the graphics/plot/items/tools/crafting/whatever else aren't exactly like minecraft nor do i intend on making them so close, i still want to make the game my own you know ;)
Attachments
Crafters10.nds
Crafters Alpha v1.3.1
(321.06 KiB) Downloaded 1102 times
DSGMTempCrafters1fdfsdfsdf.nds
Crafters Alpha v1.4
(343.56 KiB) Downloaded 870 times
Last edited by Nobody on March 9th, 2013, 3:30 am, edited 6 times in total.
Feel free to ask me for help. I'm on the forum a lot.

Recent Projects:
Retro Ducks: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3533 (latest)
The Living Dead 2: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3483
Crafters DS (Minecraft 2D Clone!) viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3082
Nobody

Re: Crafters DS

Postby Nobody » August 20th, 2012, 12:35 am

just wondering what you guys think of the project. I might do more to it but I don't have much free time, however, if you guys like the direction it's heading then i can try to find time to work on it.

Recent Projects:
Nobody

Postby Buck_7 » August 20th, 2012, 7:11 pm

I don`t really know what to say, but maybe you could update the game and we`ll see how it goes.

-cool about more blocks than normal!, but it`s very glitchy(the block system I mean) I can imagine how much trouble you have.

-Maybe you can add different modes such as adventure. Your graphics aren`t perfect but your style is unique...

Do you think you`d be able to change texturepacks?
Buck_7

Postby Nobody » August 20th, 2012, 9:27 pm

Buck_7 wrote:I don`t really know what to say, but maybe you could update the game and we`ll see how it goes.

-cool about more blocks than normal!, but it`s very glitchy(the block system I mean) I can imagine how much trouble you have.

most of the glitching is coming from all the deleting and everything of blocks doing a whole bunch of frame changes/animations. I could probably fix some of these things because that's where most of the sprite glitches are happening.

Buck_7 wrote:-Maybe you can add different modes such as adventure. Your graphics aren`t perfect but your style is unique...

Do you think you`d be able to change texturepacks?

I am aware of my crap graphics, i just really wanted something that all matched and that wasn't actual minecraft textures. As far as texture packs, idk. Maybe in the feature if this gets far enough then maybe after i add saving. We could load sprites with nitro using foxi's code. As far as an adventure mode a plan on doing so once i can get multiple block types installed (i was having trouble doing this without dsgm because it was doing some weird stuff when i tried sprite switching, i may end up doing that part in dsgm). Realistically the rest shouldn't be too hard to follow once i get everything else up and ready. I do appreciate the feedback though

Recent Projects:
Nobody

Postby boe6eod7nty » September 11th, 2012, 5:23 pm

i LOVE this idea! don't stop working on it!
i also want to ask a few things; 1: how exactly do i get this on my ds? i don't how i connect a ds game cart to the computer. 2: if i can get it working, could i be your beta tester? that would be awesome if yes! 3: that's it.
if you can show me how to get the file on a game cart, that would be awesome!!!
that akward moment when somthing akward happens.....
wait.....
what?
boe6eod7nty

Postby Nobody » September 17th, 2012, 10:36 pm

boe6eod7nty wrote:i LOVE this idea! don't stop working on it!
i also want to ask a few things; 1: how exactly do i get this on my ds? i don't how i connect a ds game cart to the computer. 2: if i can get it working, could i be your beta tester? that would be awesome if yes! 3: that's it.
if you can show me how to get the file on a game cart, that would be awesome!!!

do you already have all the necessary firmware on your card? If so, all you have to do is drag and drop the .nds file onto your card. Also, thanks for the feedback! I would like to work on it, but i've been busy. I can put a quick patch up that fixes most of the sprite glitching (minus destroying the bottom blocks)

Recent Projects:
Nobody

Postby boe6eod7nty » September 18th, 2012, 3:35 pm

i have all the "stuff" excluding the adapter that goes in the ds, i'll be ordering it soon, i'll let you know when i have it. Also, i saw you said something about bad textures, i could make some if you want... but they wouldn't be done soon, i don't get to go on the computer that much. (i'm actualy on the ds lite internet browser. lol)
wait.....
what?
boe6eod7nty

Postby Nobody » September 18th, 2012, 9:00 pm

i think i'll keep the textures I have for now. Maybe if the project get's a lot better later then I'll think about switching them out

Recent Projects:
Nobody

Postby boe6eod7nty » September 18th, 2012, 9:26 pm

okay, i look forward to testing it!
wait.....
what?
boe6eod7nty

Postby Nobody » September 18th, 2012, 11:02 pm

boe6eod7nty wrote:okay, i look forward to testing it!

partial patch added. I finally found my flash drive that had the project on it! It's been lost for weeks now which is another reason I've done nothing to the project. This change only took me a few minutes to add

Recent Projects:
Nobody

Postby boe6eod7nty » September 19th, 2012, 3:39 pm

also, two questions,
1, is there saving yet?
2, is there multiplayer yet?
2.5, i don't know if this is possible with homebrew, but could the multiplayer have "ds download play"? because if it's only multi-card play, what are the chances of finding someone who not only has homebrew games, but has craftersDS too?
wait.....
what?
boe6eod7nty

Postby Nobody » September 19th, 2012, 9:18 pm

boe6eod7nty wrote:also, two questions,
1, is there saving yet?
2, is there multiplayer yet?
2.5, i don't know if this is possible with homebrew, but could the multiplayer have "ds download play"? because if it's only multi-card play, what are the chances of finding someone who not only has homebrew games, but has craftersDS too?

1. I do not having saving incorperated at the moment. At the moment since it only has dirt blocks and nothing much, there is no point. If I ever get around to making serious improvements then I will add it, but the lack of content lessens the reason to add it now.
2. There is not multiplayer yet. There will probably never be multiplayer in the near feature because it is a hard thing to do (P.S. I have no clue how to get it working).
2.5 I don't know if homebrew allows ds download

Recent Projects:
Nobody

Postby boe6eod7nty » September 20th, 2012, 2:36 pm

so what type of improvements and bug fixs are you working on?
wait.....
what?
boe6eod7nty

Postby Nobody » September 20th, 2012, 10:29 pm

I've fixed all the block destroying glitches including the bottom row. I tried adding new blocks yesterday day, but for some reason it wasn't working right. So I'm working on that now

Recent Projects:
Nobody

Postby boe6eod7nty » September 21st, 2012, 3:15 pm

cool! let me know when you get it working, and what types of blocks too
wait.....
what?
boe6eod7nty

Postby Nobody » September 21st, 2012, 7:36 pm

i'm currently working on adding leaves and tree bark blocks so i can generate trees. Once that gets implemented, I can do crafting. Should the crafting be like the computer minecraft crafting or like the one button press crafting in the pocket edition?

Recent Projects:
Nobody

Postby Nobody » September 21st, 2012, 11:24 pm

another update has been posted. After 3 hours of constant work I've fixed some glitches and added bark and leaf blocks. Next update will add stone, world generation, and two playing modes (free build and gather to build).

Recent Projects:
Nobody

Postby DeathHawk » September 23rd, 2012, 3:06 am

if you guys want to try out our NEW version of this game (sort of) the click THIS LINK
http://dsgamemaker.com/dsgmforum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2859
**EDIT** This game is nothing close to our minecraft remake so i really recommend searching Minecraft on this fourm and see what u get :D
12/1/2016 - Is this place still alive?

Last visited:
November 23rd, 2014, 2:24 am
DeathHawk

Postby boe6eod7nty » September 23rd, 2012, 9:28 pm

i ordered the adapter, and for crafting you should make it one-click, but maybe add regular crafting when there are enough recipes...
wait.....
what?
boe6eod7nty

Postby boe6eod7nty » September 23rd, 2012, 9:46 pm

i'd just like to add, when you start adding mobs, you should start with pigs, for healing health, and then zombies so you'll have a reason to heal yourself,
i'm not sure if you are planing to add mobs soon, or if that's a far in the future plan, but i just wanted say that just in case you are planing for mobs soon.
wait.....
what?
boe6eod7nty

Next

Return to Work In Progress