Crafters DS

Show us what you're making.

Re: Crafters DS

Postby Nobody » May 2nd, 2013, 10:38 pm

1. I haven't added saving to my game yet, but yes. That is how I would do it
2. The block editing is handled by a 2d array. I don't have a dsgm file with running code in it. I coded the game inside the source files instead
3. the saving you mentioned should be fine
Feel free to ask me for help. I'm on the forum a lot.

Recent Projects:
Retro Ducks: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3533 (latest)
The Living Dead 2: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3483
Crafters DS (Minecraft 2D Clone!) viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3082
Nobody

Postby boe6eod7nty » May 3rd, 2013, 4:40 pm

okay, do you have any idea on how i can go about doing this in dsgm, or is it just half-way impossible?
that akward moment when somthing akward happens.....
wait.....
what?
boe6eod7nty

Postby Nobody » May 3rd, 2013, 7:44 pm

it's all possible, I just prefer doing it outside because you have more control. You would have to include a header file to declare your 2D array in though

Recent Projects:
Nobody

Postby boe6eod7nty » May 24th, 2013, 10:37 pm

any new progress? or are you only working on The Living dead 2 at the moment?
that akward moment when somthing akward happens.....
wait.....
what?
boe6eod7nty

Postby Nobody » May 25th, 2013, 1:38 am

I'll come back to this maybe in the near feature. I haven't worked on any DSGM projects since the release of the Living Dead 2. I've been doing other things with my time. Idk when I'll get back to DSGM

Recent Projects:
Nobody

Postby Nobody » October 8th, 2014, 8:21 pm

sorry to grave dig my own topic, but I found and image of this game back when I was working on it. At the looks of it I had cave formations up in running, sadly I can not find a build of the game that actually did it, darn.

I'm thinking about redoing this game just a bit to see if I can become more efficient at coding it. Would anybody be interested? It wouldn't be a very serious project of mine, just something to do when I don't feel like doing actual school programming homework
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (7.68 KiB) Viewed 6325 times

Recent Projects:
Nobody

Postby Buck_7 » October 8th, 2014, 10:52 pm

I think it'd be nice to see some more activity around here! Although some of us barely have any time to do anything nowadays.

Oh man, One of the biggest problems in coding minecraft clones for the DS are the blocks itself. I mean you're loading blocks on the bottom screen and displaying the same images on the top while almost (if not completely) using every single sprite the DS can handle not to mention the color palette can only have up to 255 colours including backgrounds (unless you split the blocks among different sprites sheets which I haven't tried yet). So in that way I think it's actually better that your sprites are low res. Also the problem with not being able to fully render the entire screen due to the instance limitation. Anyways those are pretty much my own problems.

That's to bad you couldn't find your project file but I think it shouldn't be hard to whip up the code again (World and block generation).
Buck_7

Postby Nobody » October 9th, 2014, 1:17 am

Buck_7 wrote:I think it'd be nice to see some more activity around here! Although some of us barely have any time to do anything nowadays.

Oh man, One of the biggest problems in coding minecraft clones for the DS are the blocks itself. I mean you're loading blocks on the bottom screen and displaying the same images on the top while almost (if not completely) using every single sprite the DS can handle not to mention the color palette can only have up to 255 colours including backgrounds (unless you split the blocks among different sprites sheets which I haven't tried yet). So in that way I think it's actually better that your sprites are low res. Also the problem with not being able to fully render the entire screen due to the instance limitation. Anyways those are pretty much my own problems.

That's to bad you couldn't find your project file but I think it shouldn't be hard to whip up the code again (World and block generation).

All of my different blocks are separate sprites because I needed them to be animated, so I never have to worry about the palette problems. The one way around I'd like to see done would be loading a background and being able to edit it's pixels. Sadly it's easier said then done and I'm not sure if you can even do something to that scale with the DS. I know that drawable backgrounds for instance only allow just a little bit over one screen size. A great Idea in theory though...

Recent Projects:
Nobody

Postby Buck_7 » October 9th, 2014, 5:41 pm

I think DSGM0 has functionality to load a image on a drawable background as well as place tiles on it. I've been thinking now and then about this problem and thought at first the answer would lie in normal tiled backgrounds, but if you were to feature the other blocks aside from few you already have you'd still end up going over the 255 palette limit.(If only you could have more colours...or as many as you want like 16 or 8 bit BG?)however, it takes up a lot of RAM (3/8th for 8bit, 6/8th for 16bit). Hmmmmmmm. Well, won't know till I try it out.
Buck_7

Postby BLsquared » October 9th, 2014, 10:29 pm

Essesntially, instead of using 256 objects for the blocks, use 1 object that handles the array and draws the blocks as tiles on the background? That could work nicely. If you did that, you might as well use the memory advantage to halve the size of blocks, allowing for cooler, more detailed structures.
You may call me BLsquared, Commodore, or TexasBatman. Preferably BLsquared.
My avatar was made by this guy: http://christianmanga.com/smf/index.php ... bum;in=374

"Every puzzle has an answer." - Professor Layton
"In war, there is indeed no substitute for victory." - Douglas MacArthur
"Love and Peace!" - Vash the Stampede
"It's High Noon!" - McCree
Member of Memefefe's Squad
BLsquared

Postby Buck_7 » October 9th, 2014, 10:54 pm

BLsquared wrote:Essesntially, instead of using 256 objects for the blocks, use 1 object that handles the array and draws the blocks as tiles on the background? That could work nicely. If you did that, you might as well use the memory advantage to halve the size of blocks, allowing for cooler, more detailed structures.

Yeah, well I already tried that long ago. Two problems: Palib only lets you modify tiles on the 256X256 background and if you try scrolling it it will just loop(easier to try it out yourself than for me to explain) and like I said before the 255 colour palette limitation on a single background.

YoshiInAVoid wrote:
Buck_7 wrote:I think DSGM0 has functionality to load a image on a drawable background as well as place tiles on it. I've been thinking now and then about this problem and thought at first the answer would lie in normal tiled backgrounds, but if you were to feature the other blocks aside from few you already have you'd still end up going over the 255 palette limit.(If only you could have more colours...or as many as you want like 16 or 8 bit BG?)however, it takes up a lot of RAM (3/8th for 8bit, 6/8th for 16bit). Hmmmmmmm. Well, won't know till I try it out.

If you'd like I can make an example of a tile based level editor. I'm just working on finalising 3D at the moment, but I could do this afterwards.

Sure I'd love to see that. *it's like a dream*
Buck_7

Postby BLsquared » October 10th, 2014, 9:07 pm

I know what you mean by the looping; remember, I had the same issue with CollisionBGs. No, insted of moving the view, create the "illusion" of movement by just drawing the tiles in different places, and only drawing the tiles that are on-screen. Man, that'd be complicated.
My avatar was made by this guy: http://christianmanga.com/smf/index.php ... bum;in=374

BLsquared

Postby Buck_7 » October 11th, 2014, 1:00 am

YoshiInAVoid wrote:
BLsquared wrote:I know what you mean by the looping; remember, I had the same issue with CollisionBGs. No, insted of moving the view, create the "illusion" of movement by just drawing the tiles in different places, and only drawing the tiles that are on-screen. Man, that'd be complicated.

The looping issue that PAlib has is not present in dsgmLib.

Additionally, I will write extendable background support whereby you can have a really large background since it will only render the tiles that are within the view.

Wait, so does that mean when you scroll to the end of the large background it will loop again?

BLsquared wrote:I know what you mean by the looping; remember, I had the same issue with CollisionBGs. No, insted of moving the view, create the "illusion" of movement by just drawing the tiles in different places, and only drawing the tiles that are on-screen. Man, that'd be complicated.

Have you seen this yet? viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3526
It's probably the best you can due because of the said problems.
Buck_7

Postby BLsquared » October 11th, 2014, 5:55 pm

No, I haven't. Will do.

BLsquared

Postby Nobody » October 12th, 2014, 1:28 am

Buck_7 wrote:Have you seen this yet? viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3526

I actually never viewed your code to the game. Looks good! Certainly see where you can run into palette limits and such. I coded crafters a completely different way! I feel like a noob. Good job though, I'll need to look more into this later :lol:

Recent Projects:
Nobody

Postby Buck_7 » October 12th, 2014, 2:09 am

Nobody wrote:
Buck_7 wrote:Have you seen this yet? viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3526

I actually never viewed your code to the game. Looks good! Certainly see where you can run into palette limits and such. I coded crafters a completely different way! I feel like a noob. Good job though, I'll need to look more into this later :lol:

I'm still a noob too! In the end I still ended up using sprites instead of tiles because of said problems. Scrolling the camera in that version is basically moving by 8X8 pixels/tiles at a time so I couldn't have any smooth camera movement unfortunately. Still it really bothers me - just how did this guy do it!?!? Total awesomeness I wonder if there's a way to have more than 255 colors on a tiled background
Buck_7

Postby BLsquared » October 12th, 2014, 2:52 am

All this is making me think that we should make a Terraria clone rather than a Minecraft one. ;)

BLsquared

Postby Nobody » October 12th, 2014, 3:21 am

we definately need to make something! I feel like making a horror game for some reason... I always come across videos of people playing them and I've never played one myself nor have I seen someone attempt one with DSGM

Recent Projects:
Nobody

Postby Buck_7 » October 12th, 2014, 3:37 am

Nobody wrote:we definately need to make something! I feel like making a horror game for some reason... I always come across videos of people playing them and I've never played one myself nor have I seen someone attempt one with DSGM

It's been on my mind to make a horror game too! But I'd make it in 3D - first person(yeah that'd be spooky cool). 3d is hard though. I don't think it'd be a slender man clone. It has a pretty big area of world. Probably something small like a horror game inside a huge mansion.
Buck_7

Postby Nobody » October 12th, 2014, 3:42 am

Same here, I think a 3D horror game is too much for us right now until we get a decent system up and running for 3D. In the meantime I'm trying to thing of a 2D horror game

Recent Projects:
Nobody

PreviousNext

Return to Work In Progress