Crafters DS

Show us what you're making.

Re: Crafters DS

Postby Buck_7 » October 12th, 2014, 3:52 am

Are you going to code some CraftersDS too?
User avatar
Buck_7
 
Posts: 1460
Joined: February 19th, 2011, 1:44 am

Re: Crafters DS

Postby BLsquared » October 12th, 2014, 4:39 am

Actually, here's my "master game" to make with DSGM (Zero):
A procedurely-generated, room-by-room, top-down, rogue-like.
Eh?
You may call me BLsquared, Commodore, or TexasBatman. Preferably BLsquared.
My avatar was made by this guy: http://christianmanga.com/smf/index.php ... bum;in=374

"Every puzzle has an answer." - Professor Layton
"In war, there is indeed no substitute for victory." - Douglas MacArthur
"Love and Peace!" - Vash the Stampede
"It's High Noon!" - McCree
Member of Memefefe's Squad
User avatar
BLsquared
 
Posts: 997
Joined: August 10th, 2011, 4:39 pm
Location: United States of America

Re: Crafters DS

Postby Nobody » October 12th, 2014, 5:51 am

Buck_7 wrote:Are you going to code some CraftersDS too?

Probably not. It would be nice to see the game make progress, but the extremely limited capabilites of our tools makes it almost pointless to expand the concept much more. Really I could only maybe make the game function better, but overall not much else.

As a horror game I'm thinking something simple like this maybe? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQxDQoz9-kY
Feel free to ask me for help. I'm on the forum a lot.

Recent Projects:
Retro Ducks: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3533 (latest)
The Living Dead 2: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3483
Crafters DS (Minecraft 2D Clone!) viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3082
User avatar
Nobody
 
Posts: 2323
Joined: February 14th, 2011, 12:08 am
Location: United States of America

Re: Crafters DS

Postby Nobody » October 12th, 2014, 8:56 pm

YoshiInAVoid wrote:
Buck_7 wrote:Still it really bothers me - just how did this guy do it!?!? Total awesomeness I wonder if there's a way to have more than 255 colors on a tiled background

I took a quick analysis of the ROM. Layer 2 of main engine is a 8bpp 512x512 background, he stores map data in RAM and only loads it into VRAM when it is needed (the part that is visible due to scrolling). This is the exact same system that I plan to implement into dsgmLib.

Sweet! Yoshi you are the best!
Feel free to ask me for help. I'm on the forum a lot.

Recent Projects:
Retro Ducks: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3533 (latest)
The Living Dead 2: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3483
Crafters DS (Minecraft 2D Clone!) viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3082
User avatar
Nobody
 
Posts: 2323
Joined: February 14th, 2011, 12:08 am
Location: United States of America

Re: Crafters DS

Postby BLsquared » October 12th, 2014, 8:56 pm

Yay! Exactly what I was hoping for.
You may call me BLsquared, Commodore, or TexasBatman. Preferably BLsquared.
My avatar was made by this guy: http://christianmanga.com/smf/index.php ... bum;in=374

"Every puzzle has an answer." - Professor Layton
"In war, there is indeed no substitute for victory." - Douglas MacArthur
"Love and Peace!" - Vash the Stampede
"It's High Noon!" - McCree
Member of Memefefe's Squad
User avatar
BLsquared
 
Posts: 997
Joined: August 10th, 2011, 4:39 pm
Location: United States of America

Re: Crafters DS

Postby Buck_7 » October 13th, 2014, 12:21 am

Nobody wrote:
YoshiInAVoid wrote:
Buck_7 wrote:Still it really bothers me - just how did this guy do it!?!? Total awesomeness I wonder if there's a way to have more than 255 colors on a tiled background

I took a quick analysis of the ROM. Layer 2 of main engine is a 8bpp 512x512 background, he stores map data in RAM and only loads it into VRAM when it is needed (the part that is visible due to scrolling). This is the exact same system that I plan to implement into dsgmLib.

Sweet! Yoshi you are the best!


Yeah!!!
I-Its a d-d-dream come tr-true ;_;

Nobody wrote:As a horror game I'm thinking something simple like this maybe? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQxDQoz9-kY
Cool! That could work! But it's so funny to see him get scared of that :lol: . I have yet to play 2d a game where I freak out like that lolol. I've only played 3d horror games so far.
User avatar
Buck_7
 
Posts: 1460
Joined: February 19th, 2011, 1:44 am

Re: Crafters DS

Postby Nobody » October 13th, 2014, 7:00 am

Buck_7 wrote:
Nobody wrote:As a horror game I'm thinking something simple like this maybe? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQxDQoz9-kY
Cool! That could work! But it's so funny to see him get scared of that :lol: . I have yet to play 2d a game where I freak out like that lolol. I've only played 3d horror games so far.

Yeah! I really like the concept of game! I do agree that his reactions seem a bit over the top compared to the actual content of the game, but I'm sure it's slightly different when you're actually playing, lol.

For my horror game I'm either thinking about making a game like the example above or a top down 2D Slender game. I'm leaning toward Slender right now since it requires less graphical abilities and a simpler level layout.

The only question I have is how do people actually program the antagonist in horror games (aka Slenderman and the murder in HomeSick)? I understand the increase the pop up rate of the villain based on the player's actions, but what are the overall determining factors? I have never played a horror game so I'm not knowledgeable about the typical gaming conventions of the genre. For instance, how does having your flashlight on effect the antagonist (make them unable to see you or something?)? Is it better to stand still and turn your flashlight off or run leave it on and run around trying to escape?
Feel free to ask me for help. I'm on the forum a lot.

Recent Projects:
Retro Ducks: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3533 (latest)
The Living Dead 2: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3483
Crafters DS (Minecraft 2D Clone!) viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3082
User avatar
Nobody
 
Posts: 2323
Joined: February 14th, 2011, 12:08 am
Location: United States of America

Re: Crafters DS

Postby Buck_7 » October 13th, 2014, 6:21 pm

Nobody wrote:Yeah! I really like the concept of game! I do agree that his reactions seem a bit over the top compared to the actual content of the game, but I'm sure it's slightly different when you're actually playing, lol.

For my horror game I'm either thinking about making a game like the example above or a top down 2D Slender game. I'm leaning toward Slender right now since it requires less graphical abilities and a simpler level layout.


I think Slenderman will be harder since it has a large map. It would be difficult memory wise. You also have the static and the flashlight to code.
Nobody wrote:The only question I have is how do people actually program the antagonist in horror games (aka Slenderman and the murder in HomeSick)? I understand the increase the pop up rate of the villain based on the player's actions, but what are the overall determining factors? I have never played a horror game so I'm not knowledgeable about the typical gaming conventions of the genre. For instance, how does having your flashlight on effect the antagonist (make them unable to see you or something?)? Is it better to stand still and turn your flashlight off or run leave it on and run around trying to escape?


I haven't played the murder in HomeSick but for slenderman I read this:

"Your flashlight has a limited battery; it will not drain while it is turned off. You also can look at the
Slender Man longer while it is off. However, having it off will make you easier to catch."
User avatar
Buck_7
 
Posts: 1460
Joined: February 19th, 2011, 1:44 am

Previous

Return to Work In Progress

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron