Group Projects

Show us what you're making.

Which game should we do?

Harry Potter SIMPLE RPG (even if I made one before)
100%
Mp3 Player (be careful of NITRO FS glitch)
No votes
Image Viewer
No votes

Total votes : 5

Group Projects

Postby colt05 » August 11th, 2014, 11:14 pm

How about we make a team for making group project games? Everyone who does it will be assigned a part and I will try to fit them in the credits screen! :D:D:D:D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :grin: :grin:

Every few days (or one day) I will give out a DSGM file, and I will tell you what will be put in it. Each person gets a number, like this:

#1 can't skip to #3, so he gives it to #2. (#1 gives to #2, who gives to #3 each one codes before passing the code on) I will be the manager/recruiter. But I will do some coding. :lol:
Last edited by colt05 on August 16th, 2014, 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Where's my signature?

Spoiler: show
In Pokémon X and Y, while the ultimate weapon is present in Geosenge Town, a Team Flare Grunt in front of a house in the west of the town comments "Only Team Flare's stayin' alive, stayin' alive.", referencing the Bee Gees song Stayin' Alive.
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/ ... k%C3%A9mon

Try to be insane to out sane the sane.
Or try to make games for an hour.
colt05

Re: Group Projects.

Postby Nobody » August 11th, 2014, 11:17 pm

sorry to burst your bubble but anyone who's still around isn't going to spend the time to do a group project. We're all preoccupied with other things.
Feel free to ask me for help. I'm on the forum a lot.

Recent Projects:
Retro Ducks: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3533 (latest)
The Living Dead 2: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3483
Crafters DS (Minecraft 2D Clone!) viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3082
Nobody

Postby colt05 » August 11th, 2014, 11:20 pm

bet someone will!
Where's my signature?

In Pokémon X and Y, while the ultimate weapon is present in Geosenge Town, a Team Flare Grunt in front of a house in the west of the town comments "Only Team Flare's stayin' alive, stayin' alive.", referencing the Bee Gees song Stayin' Alive.

colt05

Postby colt05 » August 11th, 2014, 11:23 pm

Oh, and vote please! Maybe I'll do it my self!
Where's my signature?

colt05

Postby jadaradix » August 12th, 2014, 9:56 am

You should definitely do it yourself if people don't have time to help out. Everyone wants to help out but we have our own lives; even I spend minimal time here (blame my ho). In any case, I voted for Harry Potter. You have some graphics to start and we're here to help you out. Keep us updated!
jadaradix
Site Admin

Re: Group Projects

Postby BLsquared » August 12th, 2014, 3:31 pm

*Remebers "Delusions of the Public", and how he still has all those PMs and notes and stuff, and how it could be re-built using collision BGs and such, or better yet, in Zero or GM Studio*
Buck, up for a challenge?
;)
You may call me BLsquared, Commodore, or TexasBatman. Preferably BLsquared.
My avatar was made by this guy: http://christianmanga.com/smf/index.php ... bum;in=374

"Every puzzle has an answer." - Professor Layton
"In war, there is indeed no substitute for victory." - Douglas MacArthur
"Love and Peace!" - Vash the Stampede
"It's High Noon!" - McCree
Member of Memefefe's Squad
BLsquared

Postby jadaradix » August 13th, 2014, 9:25 am

GitHub _will_ be useful for even whole binary changes. You will have a change log and you can step back to any version, aligned against time and who made it. It won't merge the files, but then that would be a lot for a system to expect when it comes to game data.

Git is kind of hard to use (and there are other source control systems, which are also hard to use, but less well known or used), but it's worth it if you want to be an "actual" developer in a few years.

"DS Chipmunk" which would play a song twice as fast for humour purposes

Only for humour!? That's how I listen to all my music.
jadaradix
Site Admin

Postby BLsquared » August 13th, 2014, 12:29 pm

So, will Zero have Source Control?
My avatar was made by this guy: http://christianmanga.com/smf/index.php ... bum;in=374

BLsquared

Postby colt05 » August 13th, 2014, 2:10 pm

YoshiInAVoid wrote:I wouldn't recommend making an MP3 player or image viewer since there are already many homebrews such as DS Organize and Moonshell which can do these things extremely well and will be hard to compete against unless you can think of some cool new features, for example "DS Chipmunk" which would play a song twice as fast for humor purposes.

For this reason, I also voted for Harry Potter RPG.

But perhaps first, if you feel that you are not ready to make a game on your own and need a group to help you, you should read some more tutorials and try to understand how the software works. This may be boring, but it will really help you in the long run and make game creation much less frustrating.

Good luck!

EDIT: Also, regarding this:

Every few days (or one day) I will give out a DSGM file, and I will tell you what will be put in it. Each person gets a number, like this:

#1 can't skip to #3, so he gives it to #2. (#1 gives to #2, who gives to #3 each one codes before passing the code on) I will be the manager/recruiter. But I will do some coding. :lol:

If you do end up making a group project, I recommend a more reliable tracking system such as GitHub it's free and it's what DS Game Maker Zero uses.

EDIT2: Nevermind, .dsgm files are binary files so GitHub won't be of much use to a project made in DS Game Maker 5. However! DS Game Maker Zero will store projects in .json format, which is much more user friendly and should work with something like GitHub.

I dunno how to code DS Chipmunk! Maybe you could help me? If only it was as easy as Music.SpeedUp().
Where's my signature?

colt05

Postby colt05 » August 16th, 2014, 12:45 pm

Commodore wrote:*Remebers "Delusions of the Public", and how he still has all those PMs and notes and stuff, and how it could be re-built using collision BGs and such, or better yet, in Zero or GM Studio*
;)

What do you mean by "Buck, up for a challenge?"
Where's my signature?

colt05

Postby BLsquared » August 16th, 2014, 12:47 pm

I was asking Buck7 if he wanted to work on DoP again.

BLsquared

Postby colt05 » August 16th, 2014, 2:39 pm

Oh nvm. No one is posting on my fourms. Can a few people post on them?
Where's my signature?

colt05

Postby Buck_7 » August 16th, 2014, 10:41 pm

Commodore wrote:...
I was asking Buck7 if he wanted to work on DoP again.

Yeah, I was still working on a pm. I'd love to work on that again. I guess we'll follow the general outline memefefe made but we'll need more ideas in addition to the ones already mentioned. Also I think it needs more story development and mystery like the Layton games. The story script never got completed. I think the mix of detective work and rpg is cool.

Commodore wrote:*Remebers "Delusions of the Public", and how he still has all those PMs and notes and stuff, and how it could be re-built using collision BGs and such, or better yet, in Zero or GM Studio*
;)

Yoshi mentioned using tile collisions in DSGM (Zero!?). I wonder how he'll manage to implement that. I should think you'd have to name every tile you want/not want to be solid or something like that. If I had a choice I'd rather not use collision BG's since they take up a precious layer and memory.
Buck_7

Postby BLsquared » August 17th, 2014, 12:35 am

You sound surprised they went with my "Zero" name.
Anyways, the way tiles will probably work will be similar to CollisionBGs. Also, what I mean by "CollisionBG is NOT the "behind the scenes" solid BG. I mean, we have the background, and then the floor is a layer atop that. Then we check for "if BGcolor != 255,255,255". Catch my drift? Then we could still do fancy background BG scrolling (have it scroll slower than foreground) and stuff. At least it'd be better than using objects for everything ... *shivers*

Concerning the story, after Meme left, I made a simple FAQ of sorts for if we revived the project. So yeah, I got the story still!

Also, remember that using a PC IDE (ie, GM Studio) is still an option, in case we would prefer that.
Now I need to dig up the last few DSGM things I messed with, remember how I did stuff.

BLsquared

Postby Buck_7 » August 17th, 2014, 1:35 am

Commodore wrote:You sound surprised they went with my "Zero" name.
Anyways, the way tiles will probably work will be similar to CollisionBGs. Also, what I mean by "CollisionBG is NOT the "behind the scenes" solid BG. I mean, we have the background, and then the floor is a layer atop that. Then we check for "if BGcolor != 255,255,255". Catch my drift? Then we could still do fancy background BG scrolling (have it scroll slower than foreground) and stuff. At least it'd be better than using objects for everything ... *shivers*

Sounds good! Backdrop in the last layer and have the main objects on the second layer as a background which would scroll faster than layer 3. Then we could use the remaining layers for text and text box? There is also the characters mug shots to display but that would take yet another layer up.

Concerning the story, after Meme left, I made a simple FAQ of sorts for if we revived the project. So yeah, I got the story still!

Cool, I found my copy of the "story" too. What FAQ?

Also, remember that using a PC IDE (ie, GM Studio) is still an option, in case we would prefer that.
Now I need to dig up the last few DSGM things I messed with, remember how I did stuff.

I rather code it in DSGM, but maybe we can also code it in GM after completing it for ds!
Buck_7

Postby Nobody » August 17th, 2014, 3:32 am

Buck_7 wrote:Yoshi mentioned using tile collisions in DSGM (Zero!?). I wonder how he'll manage to implement that. I should think you'd have to name every tile you want/not want to be solid or something like that. If I had a choice I'd rather not use collision BG's since they take up a precious layer and memory.

you could always use 2d arrays! Sometimes I do depending on the project

Recent Projects:
Nobody

Postby Buck_7 » August 17th, 2014, 3:49 am

Nobody wrote:
Buck_7 wrote:Yoshi mentioned using tile collisions in DSGM (Zero!?). I wonder how he'll manage to implement that. I should think you'd have to name every tile you want/not want to be solid or something like that. If I had a choice I'd rather not use collision BG's since they take up a precious layer and memory.

you could always use 2d arrays! Sometimes I do depending on the project

Yeah, that's what I had in mind...it'd be a lot of work though!
Buck_7

Postby BLsquared » August 17th, 2014, 4:10 am

By "FAQ", I mean my own personal notes I wrote following my discussions with Meme concerning the story. I could make a GDoc, if you like!

BLsquared

Postby Nobody » August 17th, 2014, 4:13 am

It all depends how complicated it is! Just use a loop to initialize and then use objects as templates to set additional arrays spots as boundaries.

Recent Projects:
Nobody

Postby Buck_7 » August 17th, 2014, 4:14 am

Commodore wrote:By "FAQ", I mean my own personal notes I wrote following my discussions with Meme concerning the story. I could make a GDoc, if you like!

Sure. Do you still have contact with memfefe?
Last edited by Buck_7 on August 17th, 2014, 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buck_7

Next

Return to Work In Progress