Slender Clone

Show us what you're making.

Slender Clone

Postby Nobody » October 17th, 2014, 4:56 am

I'm working on making a 2D Slender clone. I literally all the time I would have normally spent goofing off in college plus some to work on this game. I have many of the big game features. With some graphics and sound a good beta release can be done to showcase the concept. However, the only thing holding me back so far is creating the actual map because I don't quite know what I want the map to look like, and therefore cannot code it.

For those of you who have played Slender: The Eight Pages before, would you like to see the returning map layout or something slightly different? I think doing the classic one would be cool but would take some time to implement so I was wondering if you guys would just mind nothing but trees and no special obstacles.\

Game Synopsis
You are a reporter walking around the woods on a scoop of mysterious sightings of a mysterious creature. Collect a series of 8 randomly scattered pages around the forest floor to retrieve the letters of the people fallen victim to the mysterious creature. If your screen turns to static and you hear the sound of static, then run! At this point you have been spotted and must avoid being captured.

Instructions
Use the d-pad to walk around the map. Double press the directional button to sprint (warning, the more you sprint the lower your overall stamina will be, so be cautious). Turn your flashlight on and off with the A button. Having it off will allow you to die slower if you are spotted by slenderman; however, if your light is off it will be harder to see. Be mindful of your battery meter as well, once it dies you won't be able to use your flashlight. If you are spotted (static visuals and audio) then escape before captured. If you are captured your whole screen will be static, your character will disappear, and slenderman will appear. At this point just press the A button if you'd like to try again. You are given a 1 minute grace period

Features:
1. Slenderman follows player.
2. The more you stand still the easier it is for slenderman to find you
3. Slenderman moves more aggressively the more pages you collect
4. Stamina based running, so you can run out of sprint time if used too often
5. Stalk music and static visual and audio effects
6. Toggle flashlight
7. Randomly placed pages

I hope you guys enjoy and I'd like some feedback!
Attachments
DSGMTempSlender2D5153401.nds
Slender 2D v0.1
(872.75 KiB) Downloaded 214 times
Last edited by Nobody on December 5th, 2014, 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feel free to ask me for help. I'm on the forum a lot.

Recent Projects:
Retro Ducks: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3533 (latest)
The Living Dead 2: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3483
Crafters DS (Minecraft 2D Clone!) viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3082
Nobody

Re: Slender Clone

Postby BLsquared » October 17th, 2014, 1:15 pm

This ought to be interesting. Good luck! I have not played Slender, so you may not want my opinion on your game.
You may call me BLsquared, Commodore, or TexasBatman. Preferably BLsquared.
My avatar was made by this guy: http://christianmanga.com/smf/index.php ... bum;in=374

"Every puzzle has an answer." - Professor Layton
"In war, there is indeed no substitute for victory." - Douglas MacArthur
"Love and Peace!" - Vash the Stampede
"It's High Noon!" - McCree
Member of Memefefe's Squad
BLsquared

Postby Nobody » October 17th, 2014, 6:21 pm

It's ok, I've never actually played the game either, so I was wondering if someone has played it and has a preference. I'll hopefully upload the project next week.

Also, does anybody know where I can get good and free sound effects? Specifically I could use footsteps, static, and random horror sounds

Recent Projects:
Nobody

Postby Buck_7 » October 17th, 2014, 6:24 pm

Here's a map of the forest: http://cdn2.gamefront.com/wp-content/up ... er_Map.jpg
Your best option is to actually play the game and see how everything is layout from a first person perspective.
Good luck!
Buck_7

Postby BLsquared » October 17th, 2014, 8:00 pm

IDK for made SFX, but this is a good prog for making them:
http://www.bfxr.net/
My avatar was made by this guy: http://christianmanga.com/smf/index.php ... bum;in=374

BLsquared

Postby Nobody » October 17th, 2014, 9:39 pm

Buck_7 wrote:Here's a map of the forest: http://cdn2.gamefront.com/wp-content/up ... er_Map.jpg
Your best option is to actually play the game and see how everything is layout from a first person perspective.
Good luck!

Thanks Buck! I've seen this but I was just trying to figure out how I would program the actual map. Recreation would take a while... :roll:

BLsquared wrote:IDK for made SFX, but this is a good prog for making them:
http://www.bfxr.net/

Thanks! This is great and will help with many of my projects!

Recent Projects:
Nobody

Postby Buck_7 » October 18th, 2014, 1:58 am

Nobody wrote:Thanks Buck! I've seen this but I was just trying to figure out how I would program the actual map. Recreation would take a while... :roll:

Yeah, well it's mostly trees. But I think it'd be hard to tell if there was a page placed on a tree unless you remove the branches/leaves. So then that leaves you only with the trunk I guess...
And then there's the tunnel and the bathrooms where the player can access. The roofs of those structures would be open?
Buck_7

Postby Nobody » October 18th, 2014, 3:36 am

Buck_7 wrote:
Nobody wrote:Thanks Buck! I've seen this but I was just trying to figure out how I would program the actual map. Recreation would take a while... :roll:

Yeah, well it's mostly trees. But I think it'd be hard to tell if there was a page placed on a tree unless you remove the branches/leaves. So then that leaves you only with the trunk I guess...
And then there's the tunnel and the bathrooms where the player can access. The roofs of those structures would be open?

In Slender, there are only two trees were notes are posted. One is a really big tree and the other is just a log with no branches are leaves. As far as the buildings and tunnels, they would have no roofs so you could tell where you're going.

For now I'm going to hold of on the actual world for now. I'm just going to generate a simply forest pattern and leave the pages on the ground to generate. For some reason I do have a glitch where the first page randomly generated doesn't actually show up on the map which is weird...

Recent Projects:
Nobody

Postby Nobody » October 20th, 2014, 3:38 pm

just want to give you guys a quick heads up on progress so far. I've made so temporary crappy graphics for the game just so you can get a feel of what is suppose to be (trees, player, slender, pages, ect.). So far I have walking, sprinting (with decreasing stamina as you run more), a flashlight that turns on and off also with a decreasing battery meter that shuts off when you run out of battery (flashlight also lets you stare longer when off), slenderman with one minute grace period until you find your first page (also with very basic AI to move around the map following the player, but will get changed to be more of a challenge in actual upload), limited flashlight camera view effect, visual static effect when slenderman comes, pre generated small fixed map (will make a better map once I'm out of the initial stages), and random page placement (pages will be lying on the ground).

Overall I'm really proud with what I currently have and can't wait to release a proof of concept demo which should be uploaded wednesday or thursday at the latest. I also have some music and sound effects to add to the horror! After I add the sounds and make Slendy's AI a bit more complex, I'll post what I have. Should be in the next two days!

Recent Projects:
Nobody

Postby Buck_7 » October 20th, 2014, 11:41 pm

Cool, can't wait to see!
Buck_7

Postby Nobody » November 24th, 2014, 3:38 am

I promise I'll upload the project in a bit! I just had a swarm of college work to do lately. I will be on a slight break for about a week so I will try to tidy up the project a bit and try lowering the bit rate of the mp3. Once that is done I'll upload the file

Recent Projects:
Nobody

Postby BLsquared » November 24th, 2014, 10:00 pm

Cool! Cannot wait to see.

BLsquared

Postby Nobody » December 5th, 2014, 9:47 pm

Good news! I finally got around to fixing up my slender game for you guys to try it out! It doesn't look quite as nice as I hope but it's all about the underlying concepts. Check the original post for instructions and the game. Let me know what you guys think of it! The graphics such, I know and the map isn't diverse but this was just an easy way to test the concept.

Recent Projects:
Nobody

Postby BLsquared » December 6th, 2014, 9:15 pm

Very cool. Although, when I died, the screen was just static. I didn't see a Slenderman... I think?

BLsquared

Postby Nobody » December 6th, 2014, 9:25 pm

BLsquared wrote:Very cool. Although, when I died, the screen was just static. I didn't see a Slenderman... I think?

Yeah, for now there isn't a big image that appears of him like the original game. However, his character model sprite may appear on the screen depending on how far away he was. It will look like the sprite shown bellow

Did this game give you a few chills while playing? I tried my best to incorporate the same sense of fear like in the original Slender games. I know at some points during development I would get the chills...
Attachments
slenderman.png
slenderman.png (569 Bytes) Viewed 7781 times

Recent Projects:
Nobody

Postby BLsquared » December 6th, 2014, 9:30 pm

Well, more than I thought it would. Although, not too much: but I blame the Christmas music my sisters are pumping through the house at the moment. XP

EDIT:
Played again, and...
Wow. That...was a little weird. *Shudder* The music helps a lot. I bet, with some better visuals, this will be an amazing homebrew. Have you considered making the whole map randomly generated as well?
Also, I can only pick up pages when holding Up. Is this a bug?

BLsquared

Postby Nobody » December 6th, 2014, 10:55 pm

BLsquared wrote:Well, more than I thought it would. Although, not too much: but I blame the Christmas music my sisters are pumping through the house at the moment. XP

EDIT:
Played again, and...
Wow. That...was a little weird. *Shudder* The music helps a lot. I bet, with some better visuals, this will be an amazing homebrew. Have you considered making the whole map randomly generated as well?
Also, I can only pick up pages when holding Up. Is this a bug?

Yeah, it's crazy weird how much the music sets the tone for the game. Before adding sound to the game it wasn't the slightest bit scary and just felt cumbersome to walk around. I would like to thank Eric Matyes for the awesome music! You always posted music and that song was more than perfect for the game!

Also I haven't played the version I released all the way through after I updated Slenderman's mechanics. He appears much more frequently then in my original develop. Do you thing I should tone it down a bit or is this a good pace to the game? What made my initial develop scary was that Slenderman didn't appear nearly as often so when he did it scared the crap out of you.

As for the pages, I have it set to work on midpoint collisions. I did that because regular collision ran into the problem where sprites on the same even horizontal or vertical axises wouldn't register a collision. So I will tweak this a little better hopefully and find a better collision system. Might even just do something custom that will work better.

And for the map being randomly generated, I plan on doing this. I just ran into the problem of how to do such a thing. To do an effective random map generation I would need to use objects. This is the way I have the game set up right now. All the trees are objects and as the player moves around the map they are rendered as needed. Not too hard of a system to use but making bigger and more elaborate world patterns would take a long time to plot and calculate algorithms for generation as I'd be a bit more limited on how the objects are plotted for the sake of simplicity.

Lastly, thanks for the feedback! I put in some serious effort into this game because this is something new and exciting I haven't seen done in DSGM yet. I'd love to see this game get pretty good!

Recent Projects:
Nobody

Postby BLsquared » December 7th, 2014, 4:36 am

Oh yeah.
Also, I think fewer Slenderman occurrences would be better. In one of my replays I died instantly after acquiring the first note, kinda killing the effect; maybe not fewer occurances, but rather making him slower and not TPing right next to the "kill zone" would be good.

BLsquared

Postby Buck_7 » December 7th, 2014, 10:23 pm

Nice! You managed to load trees without the screen glitching like it does in Crafters. BTW what you can also do is make something like this
Light.png
Light.png (1.08 KiB) Viewed 7751 times
and insert it inside the box around the player and set it to 80% transparency to make it look more like a flashlight light
Concept.jpg
Concept.jpg (2.55 KiB) Viewed 7751 times

...and yeah Slender-man is a bit too much of a stalker :lol: Actually you don't die right away when you see him. But the longer you look at him the more the screen thickens with static. And when the static thickens so much up to a point where the map can't be seen that when you die.
Buck_7

Postby Nobody » December 8th, 2014, 1:02 am

BLsquared wrote:Oh yeah.
Also, I think fewer Slenderman occurrences would be better. In one of my replays I died instantly after acquiring the first note, kinda killing the effect; maybe not fewer occurances, but rather making him slower and not TPing right next to the "kill zone" would be good.

in the original he moved around twice as slow. I still need to adjust how I increase the difficulty with the different variables; it's hard to find the right balance. I think the main problem of Slenderman being everywhere is a last minute addition I added that makes Slenderman start teleporting to random locations once you get too far away from him. That feature needs to be really tweaked.

Buck_7 wrote:Nice! You managed to load trees without the screen glitching like it does in Crafters. BTW what you can also do is make something like this
Light.png
and insert it inside the box around the player and set it to 80% transparency to make it look more like a flashlight light
Concept.jpg

...and yeah Slender-man is a bit too much of a stalker :lol: Actually you don't die right away when you see him. But the longer you look at him the more the screen thickens with static. And when the static thickens so much up to a point where the map can't be seen that when you die.

I couldn't get something like that to work for some reason without still having the sprites be visible on top of the background, so I ended up using PAlib's window mode functions to manipulate the screen size. I would love to get the above working though.

Overall I hope to do some significant changes to this. I haven't touched it in a month before I made the changes to make the stable release the other day so I need remember what all is going on in the project again (too bad I have a bad habit of not commenting my work). I plan on adjusting Slenderman's AI first in the next release and maybe get the flashlight view to look more like a flashlight. After the AI is fixed, I will add various structures and layouts to allow for map variance and randomization.

Again, thanks for the feedback! I really do appreciate it! I'm going to school to become a computer programmer so I can make video games for a living so little small stuff like this helps!

Recent Projects:
Nobody

Next

Return to Work In Progress