Open World Engine

Show us what you're making.

Open World Engine

Postby Nobody » December 30th, 2014, 5:41 am

The provided example works like this. The map is made up of a series of objects placed in a grid. The map data is then stored into an array allowing for map objects to be rendered as necessary. This allows for a large, interactive, and randomly generated map and more!

All this has been done before by me and others on the forum, but I extended this idea to that of an open world game and added support that gives the game the effect of walking around outside as well as exploring various buildings and going to different floors inside of the buildings without needing the use of several DSGM game rooms.

To work the demo, use the dpad to move your character around (i know the camera isn't fixed right, but this is just for demonstrations only). The blue blocks are meant to symbolize walls/roofs of buildings. The door sprites act as doors to buildings. Walk up to a door and press A to walk in and out of buildings. The up and down arrows represent ascending (up arrow) and descending stairs (down arrow). Walk up to them and press A to walk up or down the respective staircase to travel to a different floor of the building.

Although this example isn't randomly generated, it could all be done so if I just added a few "Random(min, max)" calls. This engine could be used to do many things, but I haven't finalized a target project yet. I originally started this a while back to use for another sequel to my "The Living Dead" series. It would be an open world game zombie survival game with the ability to scavenge houses and stuff like that (kinda like games like DayZ). Also though about a grand theft auto type game, but am open to any kind of suggestions really. I hope you guys enjoy!
Attachments
DSGMTempOpenWorldEngine1107921.nds
(356.56 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
Feel free to ask me for help. I'm on the forum a lot.

Recent Projects:
Retro Ducks: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3533 (latest)
The Living Dead 2: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3483
Crafters DS (Minecraft 2D Clone!) viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3082
Nobody

Re: Open World Engine

Postby colt05 » December 30th, 2014, 1:45 pm

whoa
Where's my signature?

Spoiler: show
In Pokémon X and Y, while the ultimate weapon is present in Geosenge Town, a Team Flare Grunt in front of a house in the west of the town comments "Only Team Flare's stayin' alive, stayin' alive.", referencing the Bee Gees song Stayin' Alive.
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/ ... k%C3%A9mon

Spoiler: show
Try to be insane to out sane the sane.
Or try to make games for an hour.
colt05

Postby Bobbyloujo » December 30th, 2014, 6:13 pm

colt05 wrote:whoa

Seconded.

Great work, Nobody! Creating something like this in DSGM is quite an accomplishment. I did experience a few glitches though. Occasionally the character would be replaced with a blue block. Also, if I move too far to the right I get a VRAM error. Still, this is great and I'm sure you can work out the kinks.
Bobbyloujo
Site Admin

Postby Nobody » December 30th, 2014, 11:17 pm

Bobbyloujo wrote:
colt05 wrote:whoa

Seconded.

Great work, Nobody! Creating something like this in DSGM is quite an accomplishment. I did experience a few glitches though. Occasionally the character would be replaced with a blue block. Also, if I move too far to the right I get a VRAM error. Still, this is great and I'm sure you can work out the kinks.

The sprite glitch is because of the camera position I think. When objects get deleted and created on top of each other you experience those kind of sprite glitches. Also, I'm pretty sure the VRAM glitch is because things are rendered based on the camera position. So since the array is only 20 by 20 in the example with each spot accounting for 32 pixels, so when the camera starts moving past that distance you will experience glitches. If I made a game with this, I'll definitely fix these glitches with adjustments.

Thanks for the compliments guys! I did spend quite some time trying to implement everything (especially the door and stairs) so that it wouldn't glitch.

Recent Projects:
Nobody

Postby Buck_7 » December 31st, 2014, 12:55 am

Hehe, I can't wait to show you what I've accomplished today ;)
Buck_7

Postby Nobody » December 31st, 2014, 1:23 am

Buck_7 wrote:Hehe, I can't wait to show you what I've accomplished today ;)

I can't wait to see! I feel like we're always in competition with each other :p

Recent Projects:
Nobody

Postby Buck_7 » December 31st, 2014, 2:13 am

Lol, believe me, it's not deliberate. I seriously just got the thing to work :P
Buck_7

Postby Nobody » December 31st, 2014, 6:58 am

It's all good. It's just good to see that not only are people still using the software, but that people are still coming up with innovative solutions to surpass what was previously possible in the program!

Recent Projects:
Nobody

Postby Buck_7 » December 31st, 2014, 8:10 pm

Yup! It's great to see you still using this program too. Keep at it!
Buck_7

Postby BLsquared » January 1st, 2015, 3:34 am

Well, seems as though you too may be competing again, just as old times. Even if it is accidentally.
Anyways, very cool Nobody. Always nice to see great things from ya; makes me want to pick the prog back up and get to work.
You may call me BLsquared, Commodore, or TexasBatman. Preferably BLsquared.
My avatar was made by this guy: http://christianmanga.com/smf/index.php ... bum;in=374

"Every puzzle has an answer." - Professor Layton
"In war, there is indeed no substitute for victory." - Douglas MacArthur
"Love and Peace!" - Vash the Stampede
"It's High Noon!" - McCree
Member of Memefefe's Squad
BLsquared

Return to Work In Progress