Two Proofs of Concept: Insaniquarium and Sentinels

Show us what you're making.

Two Proofs of Concept: Insaniquarium and Sentinels

Postby mumpyboor » February 2nd, 2015, 6:21 am

Some of my earlier DSGM work. I don't plan on doing any more with these, I prefer inventing my own games. But when I first started, working on these gave me experience manipulating graphics, keeping resources organized, and understanding how to make the most of the RAM limitations. My programming skills have much improved and I'm sure I could do a more efficient job with these, but games like these are not a job for one person...

When making a game, I like to plan out exactly which objects will occupy which instances. Then I can create all my objects at the beginning of the game and change frame as necessary, thus avoiding Create_Object and Change_Sprite which tend to kill my games.

Check here for my other two games. In these games almost all my code is in separate .h files and 'execute code' blocks. I've come a long way, and I still have fun with this program. Maybe I should learn android development so I can actually make some money...
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6035

A friend gave me a Nintendo DS on its US release date, Nov 21. 2004. Mine has a lot of wear and tear, but I still find it fun 10 years later.
Attachments
Insaniquarium DS.nds
(3.74 MiB) Downloaded 206 times
Sentinels DS.nds
(12.46 MiB) Downloaded 186 times
mumpyboor

Re: Two Proofs of Concept: Insaniquarium and Sentinels

Postby Nobody » February 2nd, 2015, 7:18 am

I'm sure these games are nice but I had no idea how to play them at all. It's best to upload a set of instructions when uploading your own games so others know how to play them.
Feel free to ask me for help. I'm on the forum a lot.

Recent Projects:
Retro Ducks: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3533 (latest)
The Living Dead 2: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3483
Crafters DS (Minecraft 2D Clone!) viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3082
Nobody

Postby skompc » September 11th, 2015, 10:05 pm

do u still have the .dsgm files? i wanna work on insaniquarium!
pizza is pizza, but when it's at school, it's NOT pizza
skompc

Postby mumpyboor » December 20th, 2015, 2:07 pm

Here is a dropbox link with all the files. Keep in mind, I made this before I understood how to manage instance ID and prevent RAM overflow, as well as include header files instead of spreading everything out among objects and scripts. It's terribly messy, but have fun with it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e1yjzmedtm27i ... S.zip?dl=0

Check out my newly playable project here, Forbidden Island DS:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6109
mumpyboor

Return to Work In Progress