Nyan Cat DS -- Tutorial

Learn to use DS Game Maker by Example.

Nyan Cat DS -- Tutorial

Postby Zachman » November 28th, 2013, 4:55 am

Welcome to the Nyan Cat DS Tutorial!

Here are the files you will need to follow along:
nyanCatDS.zip
(851.27 KiB) Downloaded 305 times

Once you get that and un-zip it, open DS Game Maker!
This is what you will see:
tut1.PNG

Lets start by adding in all of the sprites!

Near the top, there is an icon that looks like Pacman with a plus sign. Press that to add a new sprite. In the window that appears, set the name to nyan_sprite. Then click sheet in the new window. Navigate to the file in the nyanCatDS folder. Set the Width and Height to 64 both. Then 6 images per row, and 1 per column. Click accept. Click accept again. You have successfully added a sprite! The following is an image that might help you see what the words above mean...
tut2.PNG

Now add the rainbow sprite the same way, setting the name to rainbow, the Width to 64, the Height to 32, 1 image per row, 2 per column.

Add the star sprite as well, setting the name to star, the Width and Height to 16, 7 images per row, and 1 image per column.

Congratulations! You have now successfully added in all of the sprites you will need for this project. :lol:

Here is what you should see now.
tut3.PNG

The next step is to make objects for all of the sprites, Nyan Cat, the Rainbow Trail, and the Stars.

(I will finish this later... :D)
Zachman

Re: Nyan Cat DS -- Tutorial

Postby Foxi4 » November 28th, 2013, 10:42 pm

You are probably better off drawing the rainbow on an 8-bit background rather than using sprites, I would imagine that using 128 instances is not going to be enough. :)

EDIT: Redacted due to new-found irrelevancy. :P
Last edited by Foxi4 on November 29th, 2013, 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current Projects:

FalloutDS: Postponed until proper libraries are created, 10%
Foxi_Lib: A completely revised version of NitroSprites[FINAL], NitroBackgrounds and NitroText[FINAL], 40%
Foxi4

Postby BLsquared » November 28th, 2013, 10:52 pm

The questoin is, HOW might one do that?
You may call me BLsquared, Commodore, or TexasBatman. Preferably BLsquared.
My avatar was made by this guy: http://christianmanga.com/smf/index.php ... bum;in=374

"Every puzzle has an answer." - Professor Layton
"In war, there is indeed no substitute for victory." - Douglas MacArthur
"Love and Peace!" - Vash the Stampede
"It's High Noon!" - McCree
Member of Memefefe's Squad
BLsquared

Postby Zachman » November 28th, 2013, 11:29 pm

Foxi4 wrote:You are probably better off drawing the rainbow on an 8-bit background rather than using sprites, I would imagine that using 128 instances is not going to be enough unless you'll use sprite cloning. :)

The Cat will be allowed to move by dragging it with the stylus, hence making the rainbow a sprite.
Zachman

Postby Buck_7 » November 28th, 2013, 11:40 pm

I think Cloning sprites just takes the information from the sprite you want to clone and creates another sprite with the information of the original. You're still limited to 128 sprites but you use less vram or something like that.
Buck_7

Postby Foxi4 » November 29th, 2013, 12:01 am

Buck_7 wrote:I think Cloning sprites just takes the information from the sprite you want to clone and creates another sprite with the information of the original. You're still limited to 128 sprites but you use less vram or something like that.

My bad, you are absolutely correct, the OAM can handle up to 128 OBJ entries unless you use sprite multiplexing or something along those lines.
Current Projects:

Foxi_Lib: A completely revised version of NitroSprites[FINAL], NitroBackgrounds and NitroText[FINAL], 40%
Foxi4

Postby Buck_7 » November 29th, 2013, 12:19 am

Foxi4 wrote:
Buck_7 wrote:I think Cloning sprites just takes the information from the sprite you want to clone and creates another sprite with the information of the original. You're still limited to 128 sprites but you use less vram or something like that.

My bad, you are absolutely correct, the OAM can handle up to 128 OBJ entries unless you use sprite multiplexing or something along those lines.

Sounds complicated - I don't think I'll ask how to do that :lol:
Buck_7

Postby Foxi4 » November 29th, 2013, 12:38 am

Buck_7 wrote:
Foxi4 wrote:
Buck_7 wrote:Sounds complicated - I don't think I'll ask how to do that :lol:

Actually, it "sounds" very easy but it's much more difficult to pull off as it has a lot to do with timing. In a nutshell, each rendering cycle ends with a blank. The idea of multiplexing is that as the line passes down the screen, it draws the sprites so technically once the sprite is drawn, you can quickly "move it" under the level of the line to have it rendered again somewhere else. That way you can render one sprite multiple times while still only using one object. :)
Current Projects:

Foxi4

Return to Tutorials